Monday, March 17, 2014

My take on the idea of 'god'

To me, the idea of 'god' has been taken far too literally for far too long, as has the definition of 'life'. To me, god is the giver of life, and as god gives life to humanity and to every animal on the planet, according to Abrahamic religions, I believe that the giving of life is far less specific than what we consider it to be.

The idea of 'giving life' is, ultimately, the idea of a usefulness for an item. If living is expending energy, then the idea of life, in the ordinary concept which most people take for granted, I find to be too narrow. Giving of life is about attributing a usefulness to someone or something; a human has a life just as a dog has a life to experience the universe, just as a tree has a life to give oxygen to things which need to breathe.
It is useful for me to point out my own more or less philosophical opinion on the meaning of life.
The meaning of life, to me, is a means to an ends. I feel, as a 'something', that it is impossible for there to be a literal 'nothing', and that 'something' will always be 'somewhere' to make sure there is no 'nothing' anywhere. From this perspective, there is a perception of nothing if there is nothing to perceive anything, and as such, the universe is in a state of being to make sure there is no 'nothing', and every living (by a standard definition of living) thing inhabits this universe to ensure that there is no perception of 'nothing'.
 As I said before, life is, in my context, the usefulness of an item, but more specifically, life is something which is given to anything which has a use. Ultimately, this conforms to the nonspecific idea of what constitutes life; a beginning, a middle, and an end. I own a watch which helps me tell the time. This watch was made sometime, and it was given life when it was created because it was created to serve a purpose. My initial interest of the watch conforms to the development stage of life (if transposed onto that of sentience), where it begins to notice a perceived interest in itself. It then progresses through into its full usefulness, where I own the watch, and the watch will, just like old age, begin to suffer faults, and eventually lose usefulness and die to me. The relationship I have with my watch; that I own the watch, and it is useful to me, is what constitutes giving life, and as my relationship to this watch is giving life to the watch, I conclude in saying that my relationship with my watch is god.
Or, part of god. God is every relationship ever. It isn't one thing, it is everything. Everything in the full universe is, in some way, experiencing god, because it is only in this universe because it has a use or a potential use, and therefore is either living, or has the potential to live to someone or something at some time. Every relationship I form with an item, a person, an animal, or even a tree, is out of my perceived necessity, and in doing so, this relationship is giving life to the item, person, animal, or even the tree. As relationships are formed out of perceived importance, necessity, or purpose, he who is convinced to be without purpose is truly Godless.

No comments:

Post a Comment